Acetylene is a very useful, yet one of the most hazardous gases used today. These hazards rise from its triple bond structure, and flammability. Also, these properties make acetylene suitable for welding and temperature cutting, as well as wide range of applications such as plastic production, portable lighting, etc. However, pure acetylene undergoes decomposition when overheated or compressed. Decomposition is a chemical reaction where carbon and hydrogen are produced. A tremendous amount of pressure and heat is generated during the reaction, which may trigger explosions. Hence, this gas demands careful handling.
Acetylene is dissolved in acetone at pressures up to 275 PSIG (19 bar) at 20°C (68° F). The dissolved acetylene is then packaged in special cylinders through hoses and other ancillaries. With the dangers involved in acetylene packaging, the hoses used for packaging should comply with certain industrial standards. Rexarc provides acetylene cylinder leads or hoses that have passed acetylene decomposition test, which mentioned in ISO 14113:2013 Annex A. This test is conducted to analyze the working condition of hose at extreme pressures sometimes rising up to 900 bar.
Recommended Hose Life Cycles for Acetylene Hoses
The following information shows recommended hose life cycles:
|Acetylene (C2H2)||Cylinder with a Working Pressure of 200 bar at 15 °C||Cylinder with a Working Pressure of 300 bar at 15 °C||Cylinder with a Working Pressure of 700 bar at 15 °C||Other Gases|
|Maximum Allowable Pressure (MAWP)||25||250||375||875||-|
|Minimum Proof Pressure||300 Fixed Value||375||560||1050||1.5 MAWP|
|Bursting Pressure Minimum||1000 Fixed Value||1000||1500||2190||4 MAWP if MAWP <= 450bar * 2.5 * MAWP if MAWP > 450bar with a minimum of 1500 bar|
Tips for Selection of Hoses for Acetylene Packaging
At Rexarc, our experts with their vast industry experience understand client expectations. This in-depth understanding enables us to aid clients in making the right selection of hoses for their acetylene packaging plants. The following are the two terms that play a key role in selection.
- Successful Test Cycles: The lower value of the average number of U-bend and hydraulic test cycles passed
- Maximum Pressurization Cycles: This is estimated on the basis of daily cycles.
Our suggestions are mainly based on the following two types
- Customer Site Hose Assemblies: When used at a customer site, the hose should fulfill these requirements
- The maximum pressurization cycle for metallic and plastic hoses are 1000.
- Maximum service life for hoses are 5 years.
- Filling Center Hose Assemblies: If used at filling center, the hoses should fulfill the following requirements.
- The maximum pressurization cycle for plastic hoses should not exceed 10000.
- The maximum pressurization cycle for metallic hoses takes into account successful range of test cycles, and maximum pressurization cycles.
The pressurization cycles for customer site hose assemblies are estimated as per the cylinder rotation. Service life of hose assemblies will be reduced, if pressurization cycle exceeds above 1000.
|Range of Successful Test Cycles||Maximum Pressurization Cycles|
|45000 – 49999||9000|
|40000 – 44999||8000|
|35000 – 39999||7000|
|30000 – 34999||6000|
|25000 – 29999||5000|
|20000 – 24999||4000|
|15000 – 19999||3000|
|10000 – 14999||2000|
Cylinder Lead Ordering Information
|Sr. No||Part Number||Quantity||Description||Request For a Quote|